Lunette Blair Donation Ceremy to the Fort Scott National Historic Site
The Friends of Fort Scott NHS, Inc, are hosting the donation ceremony of the Lunette Blair building and land to the Fort Scott National Historic Site in a public ceremony/photo-op on the site in Skubitz Plaza, Saturday, July 3, 2021, at 11am.
U.S. Senator Jerry Moran will deliver remarks as a key proponent of the park’s boundary expansion through the John D. Dingell Jr. Conservation, Management, and Recreation Act. U.S. Congressman Jake LaTurner also plans to be present and speak. Reed Hartford, President of the Friends of Fort Scott, Inc., will share the history and progression of events that brought us to this historic day. Members of several different groups and organizations who have owned and participated in helping to preserve this historic structure including the Molly Foster Berry Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Historic Preservation Association of Bourbon County, Western Blockhouse Committee, and the City of Fort Scott will participate in the event.
Construction of the Lunette Blair began in 1863. It is the only building remaining of the three fortifications that surrounding Fort Scott during the Civil War. Lunettes are temporary forts, curved into a protective shape and placed near but outside the main fortification. Fort Scott’s three lunettes (Blair, Henning, and Insley) held the blockhouses enclosed by a wood and earthen wall.