Iron Star Antiques & Such
Home Decor - Gifts & CollectiblesApparel/AccessoriesFurniture - Antiques & Repurposed
Home Decor, Seasonal Accessories,, Rustic Furniture, Repurposed & Antique Furniture, Glassware, Jewelry and a limited selection of ladies' apparel.
History of the Building, established in 1885 of Italianate style:
This building was constructed in 1885 and occupied in April, 1886. Originally known as the Perry Van Fossen Block, the property belonged to the Louderback family for more than eighty years in the twentieth century.6 In 1889 the first floor of 1 North Main was occupied by the Boston Shoe House and the Missouri & Kansas Telephone Company. Later, there were dry good stores in the building. In 1909 it housed the Fort Scott State Bank. The Streeter Blair Clothing Store was located on the corner from circa 1918 until he moved across the street on October 29, 1920. By 1922, the Midwest State Bank was located here. In 1938 the Crown Drug Store was recorded at this address and remained for many years. Offices on the second floor housed attorneys and realtors, and by 1938, insurance agents. The adjacent storefront, 3 North Main, housed W. K. Poage, clothing, and the Western Union telegraph office in 1889. In 1918, the J.M. Bright clothing store occupied the storefront. After about 1930, it housed the Howell Rug · Company and the Ellis Music Company. An optometrist, physician, and the James Burton Abstract office occupied offices on the second floor. The rear storefront, 111 East Wall, housed the Bank of Fort Scott, established in 1876, until the bank's owner, C. F. Drake, died in 1905.
- We were green when green was just a color!